Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Gilbert and Sullivan

So, a friend of mine has joined the Gilbert and Sullivan society here and at dinner one night leaned over and asked me. "Can you sing alto?" To which I replied, "um, sure?" Kind of a random question for dinner conversation. Apparently, the G & S society is rather short on altos and since I didn't really have anything to do last night, I decided to tag along. Well, short on altos is a little bit of an understatement. There are about 15 sopranos, and about 3 altos. So, off I went to sing with the altos and sight-read my part (which is hard because I didn't really know the music and couldn't really hear the alto part because of all the sopranos). It was fun though, I really enjoyed myself and I think I was pretty much making up my own part (half way through the other two altos had to leave and so one of the girls who runs the society came to sing the alto part with me but she is normally a soprano and so didn't know all the parts either).

I had a good time, it was just really weird. This was my life back in high school when I spent all my time at community theater rehersals, music practices, singing lessons, musical theater competions... It's just been so long that I've been away from this that I felt like I was going back in time to when I was 16. I was in the foreign world that I once felt very comfortable in, but now feel like more of an outsider. The weird thing is that you get the same types of personalities that you would find anywhere in this sort of group. I was meeting people and after talking with them for a bit, would be able to connect them with someone I had once known in my own music days! But all in all, it was a good time and I really did enjoy myself.

So, I guess I know what I'll be doing on Tuesday night for the next little while...

1 Comments:

At 28 October, 2006, Blogger Courtney said...

Here's som Gilbert and Sullivan trivia so you can impress everyone at your next rehearsal. Tee hee. http://www.funtrivia.com/quizzes/humanities/theatre/gilbert_and_sullivan.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home