Monday, September 18, 2006

Guess What? ... I'm in Scotland

So, in true (Medea) fashion, the day we left for Scotland, I had all my luggage packed and at the back door by about 10:00am (the flight itself left at 10:00pm). Needless to say, I spent most of the day unable to sit still because, well, guess what? ... I'm going to Scotland. I'm sure I drove my mom absolutely crazy. We ended up leaving our house at 6:00pm to make it up to the airport in plenty of time. The flight to Heathrow was delayed for just over half an hour because they had to replace a oxygen tank in the front of the plane (whatever that means. Sort of reminded me of the indicator problem my plane had in Frankfurt 2 years ago). Other than that it was fairly uneventful, although somehow I lucked out and ended up sitting in the emergency exit row, which has about 3 times the leg room of the regular seats. Unfortunately, after being pampered I don't think I'll ever be able to go back.

Due to the delay, we were late getting into Heathrow and the plane had to park out on the tarmac (sp?) and we had to be bussed into the terminal. We then had to clear passport control (with no major issues besides the volume of people, what a zoo!), hike from terminal 3 to terminal 1, and the get bussed from the departure gate to the plane to Edinburgh (which just happened to be right beside the plane we had just gotten off of). Good thing our baggage was tagged right through to Edinburgh so we didn't have to worry about sorting that all out. Once in Edinburgh, we then got to take a bus, train, and taxi to our final destination. We never waited for more than 15 minutes for the rest of the connections. Everything went so smoothly. All in all, it ended up being about 19 hours of travelling. But we arrived along with all our luggage with no major problems. So, now I've been in Scotland for about 48 hours.


My flat is fantastic. I'm not staying in the main manor house like I thought I would be, but instead, I am staying in a house across the street with 4 other girls (3 americans and a Brit/Belgian). Should be interesting. The room is small but my view is fantastic. I look right out on the North Sea and fell asleep last night listening to the waves.






So my little university town is fantastic. Definitely a change from Toronto. I love being able to walk everywhere. I almost feel as though I'm in a movie. The buildings here are fantastic. They're mostly stone and just so quaint. Well, that's pretty much all for now. I'll keep you all posted as I explore the town more.



PS: Here's my neat Harry Potter dinning room.





2 Comments:

At 19 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

G,
It looks wonderful! I'm very jelouse but I'll see you in Scotland in 2008 and then you can show me around then.

Take care babe and God Bless!

love,
Robbie

 
At 29 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that looks like a totally ancient banquet hall! You are lucky!


Jeremy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home