Monday, June 15, 2009

An update on my future

While I was in Rome, I got some exciting news. I got an email back from the DAAD and I have received funding to be in Germany from 1 September - 22 December. So, it looks like I'll be moving to Germany for the fall. It's pretty exciting but slightly scary, partly because I basically have 2 and a half months to get all my stuff organized and sort out the logistics of moving (and will also be in Canada for one of those months) and partly because I'm going to be moving to a country where I don't really speak the language. I mean, I can get by, but it's going to be very interesting trying to find somewhere to live and sort out bank accounts and such. I guess this constitutes a serious adventure. The town is in what was previously Eastern Germany and was not really damaged at all during the war (and thus looks pretty much like it did in the 16th and 17th centuries). It's slightly bigger than the town I live in now, and because it's in the East, the cost of living is quite cheap (something I am very much looking forward to).

It's kind of a relief to know that I at least know where I will be and what I'll be doing up until Christmas but it's weird to be packing and trying to move everything (I'm also in the process of moving flats at the moment) and as much as there are certain aspects of my town that drive me crazy, it is kind of strange to think that I won't be living here anymore as of September... (eek, look at me. I'm already starting to get nostalgic).

1 Comments:

At 26 June, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats Gwynaeth! What will you be doing in Germany? Teaching/studying/both?

I'd love to see you when you come to Canada this summer? Will you have time to visit?

TTYL,
Frances

 

Post a Comment

<< Home